Vertical take off

What technical feedback would you like if any? I caught this heron as he burst completely vertical from the reeds. I would welcome any feedback on bringing out the detail and the contrast with the background.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Fuji 55-230 1/1000 sec f11 ISO 6400

!

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Charles, I like the water drops splaying all around in this image. They add a lot of interest. Nice catch of the action even with the bird moving away from us. There is a good bit of noise in the image which makes me wonder if this was a big crop or you lightened it significantly or maybe it’s just the high ISO. I think the capture may have benefitted with more shutter speed and wider aperture (which also would have helped blur the background more).

1 Like

Thanks - it was ISO 6400. I had thought 1/1000 was fast enough, but new to bird shots so will try faster still! I think I bumped the fstop - I would not have set it at f11. Then I could get more speed. Thanks again

CVO

A fun and interesting action shot of this startled Heron, Charles! The f/11 is unfortunate because it resulted in a slow shutter speed and a very high ISO which, combined, caused the lack of sharp detail and lots of noise. When it all happens very suddenly like this, you’re pretty much stuck with whatever the settings were before you grab the shot and you don’t have time to think about it and adjust the settings! It’s still a cool moment that you may never see again! One note though, is that you apparently cropped the photo which means the bird was probably on the right side of the frame, but I would maybe crop a little more on the left side to put the bird a little off center-left (since its looking right).

Eye-catching. The bird looks like a ballet dancer. I love the little dragonfly, too. Others have mentioned the noise, so I won’t. I would like to see more room on the right side, though.