Trinity River Backwater

In a backwater of the Trinity River, northern California. It’s entirely a reflection, and I was taken by the change from reflection to refraction of the log. Looked rather surreal to me.

What technical feedback would you like if any? ### What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. Generally, does the composition work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a73r, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 1600.

Bonnie: What a mind bender! I’m still trying to figure the optics of the river bottom showing through the log :thinking:. Did you use a polarizer? Well seen! >=))>

Bonnie, this is very well seen. The mix of exposed and underwater portions of the log, how you’ve angled it across the frame and the contrast between the darker log and the reflections make for a picture that needs to be studied as it’s enjoyed.

Definitely surreal to me also Bonnie. I keep looking at it and trying to get my eyes to figure it out. What a nice find for you.

Nicely abstract. Really needs to be seen large. Lots to look at in the reflective patterns.I could see a little less brightness.

Thanks, @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @linda_mellor, and @David_Schoen for your comments. This is actually 100% reflections. I was shooting under the log, and the log’s reflection changed to a refraction across the frame. David, it is a bit bright; probably need some targeted vignetting/darkening. Bill, I wasn’t using a polarizer.