Truce

Image: Gila Woodpecker and White-Winged Dove settle into their neighboring nests after a long day of feeding and fighting.

Description: This Gila Woodpecker and White-Winged Dove spent most of the day chasing each other away from this saguaro cactus. One woodpecker would bring food while the other would defend their nest from this seemingly unlikely predator. Then the doves would perch like sentries on top of the saguaro to watch for the woodpecker’s approach. These “battles” went on continually through the day. I was viewing this activity from the woodpecker’s side of the cactus, which had the least obtrusive vantage point. it wasn’t until midday that I realized that the doves also had a nest in this saguaro, just on the other side, in the crook of a limb. I went to check on their activity just at sunset and found that both had settled at their respective nests. The scene was lighted from the west, so the east (dove) side of the cactus was in shadow. Because of this lighting I felt the best way to make to this image was to do it as a silhouette.The symmetry of this image represents not only their similar nesting choices, using opposite sides of the saguaro cactus, but, also of their behavior that day. Each set of parents took turns defending their respective nests against their neighbor, finally calling a truce at the end of a very long and active day of feeding and fighting.

Specific Feedback Requested: Loosely qualifies as symmetry? I could show more of the cactus, but I think the image would lose the impact of the positions of their respective nests. Effective as a silhouette?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D850, Nikon 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6, ISO 2000, 80 mm, f/5.0, 1/2000 sec. Lighting adjustments and cropping for composition in LR.

2 Likes

I like this as silhouette. A very nice graphic image. I was recently in Tuscon AZ and visited Saguaro National Park so your image called to me!

What a beautiful and minimalist scene. I really enjoy looking at it. The division of the elements in the frame is very interesting to my eye.

Philipp, Thank you for the comments. I am glad you enjoyed it. It seemed like a fitting way to portray the end of a very active day for these birds.

Dean, Thank you for your thoughts. I haven’t been to Saguaro National Park, yet, but there are many areas near me with many saguaros as well. To make this as a silhouette just seemed to bring out the sense of settling in for the night.

Thank-you for sharing the story and wonderful image.

Your image captivates one to find both the Gila Woodpecker and the White-Winged Dove.

A very nice silhouette.

Domenico, Thank you for the kind thoughts and checking this image out. It was surprising to find both birds using the same cactus for their nests.

Welcome to NPN, from a relative newcomer as well.

I did look at the Maple Leaves ,image in the critique, and really liked the colors and composition.

Hope to see more!