Trying Ants

I was trying handhold Macro photos of Ants. Really need a good way to hold steady other than a tripod. This was 90D 180 Macro and a 25mm extension tube I used a flash with a disffuser and had another white panel on the lens. Someone suggested a ring flash but I don’t know enough about them. I was at 1:1 and moving to focus Any feedback will be great

1/160 F/18 iso 500

Dean, you sure got in there close on this little ant. Very impressive details for handheld, but I image the flash is what helped you with that. I would prefer some room for him to move on the left, and a little less off the right side. You might can do that with content aware (I have to admit I haven’t done much with that option in Photoshop). The lighting looks really natural for a flash, so your setup really worked well. A very fine look at this tiny little ant!

Thanks Shirley, I went back later in the afternoon to capture some more and this one was on a tripod. The trouble I have with a tripod is keeping the 1:1 but I forgot I have a good focus rail so next time I will add this to the equipment. This one was 1/320 second at F/20 ISO 500 smae flash setup. It is really interesting watching these guys work. I was very close to 1:1 with this photo. She actually did not more, maybe a scout to see if it time to close the door LOL