Tumwater Falls Detail & Color and B&W Reposts

Color Repost: AddedTexture to lower falls and a bit of dodging.

B&W Repost: Used Lights2 Luminosity mask to convert to B&W and added curves layer to intensify contrast just a bit more. I still prefer the color as the mist is part of the atmosphere of the image and it got attenuated here.

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I don’t drift into this forum very often, but we have some substantial water in the local rivers now and I went to a local urban park with waterfall and rapids yesterday to see what I could make out of it. This frame particularly caught my eye when I was reviewing images for the luminosity and ethereal quality of the image.

Specific Feedback

I’d appreciate any advice you folks can give me, particularly on processing.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE70-200 f/4 macro @ 174 mm, tripod, f/7.1, 1/8 sec, iso 50. Processed mostly in LR with a quick trip to PS to remove a couple of twigs that disturbed the visual flow.

1 Like

Cool image, Dennis. I like the luminosity and the shutter speed. Nicely done. It might look good in B&W too.

My parents live or lived in Olympia. My dad passed away several years ago, and I just moved my mom into the nursing home section of Panorama.

We used to go to Falls Terrace for anniversaries and birthdays. Haven’t been there in quite a few years. But I remember watching Tumwater Falls from the restaurant. Brings back good memories.

Back to your image. It is very cool. Nice bit of intimate detail.

Cheers,
David

Dennis, hope you stayed dry! I like the comp and the shutter speed. I played with a bit and really liked it in B&W. For me, I liked a bit more contrast by deepening the blacks. I also liked making the central flow of water a bit brighter with a touch of contrast while leaving the rest of the water nice and soft. There is one small twig in the upper part of the central flow that needs to go too. This image could go many different ways. Have fun playing with it!

Thanks Ron. I’ll take a look at some of your ideas. I noticed that darn twig after I posted it.

When you want to play with someone’s image on this site it’s fine to post your version along with your comment to illustrate where you’re going with it. Just click on the yellow upload button in the toolbar.

I like the color but do appreciate that black and white is a natural choice. If you keep the color, I detect a slight blue tone middle bottom, so you might want to be to the camera raw, choose color grading blue to see if there is indeed blue there. This is subjective, I like the shutter speed you chose, hard to get softness as well as getting some texture in water.

Hi Dennis, I like the higher key delicate feeling of this waterfall. I might prefer to see a tad more brush stroke in the flow on the left and the bottom portion, just by increasing the contrast or adjusting highlight you might obtain that. While I do love BW, I think the color version here makes it more delicate and ethereal. We all agree about that pesky little twig! I often see something after I’ve posted, lol. Good choice of shutter speed, too!

Nice catch; I enjoy the way the lines come together in this capture. My taste runs to the black and white, but I hear you on your color preference. I played with @Ron_Meeker’s idea of deepening the blacks to visualize it, and I like what it brings. The bright water around the central dark area feels like a reverse vignette.

Thanks, @John_Williams I can see this as well. It works very well this way. Thanks for demonstrating it.

1 Like