Imagination

Original image:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out a couple of days ago photographing ice and water at a local waterfall. This started as a moderately close image of a bunch of ice blobs formed by a very small waterfall (see second image). I liked it, but it looked like a fun image to play with as well. Seven iterations later, it was this. I have no idea what it is, but it appeals to me.

Specific Feedback

Anything you care to say.

Technical Details

Original image: Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro @ 94 mm, tripod, f/16, 1/6 sec, iso 1000. A blue color added to the ice in one layer and a purple added in a reversed layer. The whole image rotated to vertical and brightened considerably when I saw this emerge while cycling through blending modes.

1 Like

Dennis, this is super intriguing. Thanks for detailing your process. You are not alone in moving this forward through experimentation and exploration without a goal in mind. Sometimes we just need to play and be open to what arises. I liken this process to a chemistry lab in which many things are known such as the states and conditions of the materials, the states of the system and environment, the problem to solve, and the skills of the scientist. The unknowns are the precise outcomes once the chemicals mix.

Your results are super interesting. I have no critique other than to wonder what else is possible with just a few tweaks. The subject is ripe for this. Nicely done.

1 Like

I’ll echo what Matt wrote. This is a creative result Dennis! Love the sheen and the colors in your experimental image. A bold and engaging abstract image for sure.

Wonderful!!! I love the colors, textures and shapes. That is a very interesting dark circle coming in from the left and moving my eye up to the lighter area. Whatever you did was just right!!

Sometimes it feels like images like this crawl out almost on their own. I can see the work you did from the seven -Edit tags!

@Diane_Miller Largely, I kept wanting to make sure I didn’t lose an intermediate step that looked interesting, so I’d save the file and open a copy to go from there. I’m afraid I could fill a lot of hard drives in a hurry if I’m not careful with this stuff.

Wonderful study of color. I see blues, purples, and magentas. My initial thought was a slight crop from the bottom as I don’t see the need to compose for the black shapes.

Dennis, this feels like an “outerspace” view, that’s very intriguing and mysterious. I do think that dodging the lighter parts in the lower half of the structure angling through the middle would give more overall balance

Dennis, this definitely has a space odyssey feel to it. It reminds me of those old blacklight posters that used to be around a few decades back.