Tunnel Vision

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details:

There was very little color in my area this fall, so I went to CT on the off chance of finding color there. Here is a shot of a small pond with arched birch tree trunk and its reflection. Taken with Canon SX60, F5.6, 1/160, ISO 320.

Just usual adjustments done.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Patricia,

This is fantastic and a bit unique. What a great set up to have that beautifully arched birch over the reflecting pond. What is so cool too is that the area within that arch and reflection really look/feel like a portal or window where everything inside it is clear, where most everything outside the window is less clear - if that makes any sense.

The only suggestion I have would be to deal with the bright patch of the reflection. Honestly, I didn’t notice it at first (surprisingly it didn’t jump right out.) And maybe it’s not just that it’s a bright patch, but also that we can’t see the source. Maybe some creative cloning/painting in that area could minimize it. But that’s a little minor and doesn’t take away from the uniqueness of this autumn image. Nicely seen and captured.

Lon

ps. I just now let the title sink in… duh.

I will have to second what Lon just said, Patricia. The arching tree is very unique and photogenic. I think I might clone out that area of brightness in the water extending in from the right edge of the frame. Great eye to spot this.

Love this ! I would have been there for hours, shooting every possible angle, exposure, and DOF.
The framing by the horizontal birch is very unique and the fall colours gorgeous. I agree to dampen the bright areas.
Really exceptional image!

Patricia what a neat find this was, it’s very interesting. It almost looks like the reflection you see from arched bridges. If I remember correctly, you live in Massachusetts as well, right? At a pond in Hopkinton State Park there is a spot where there are 3 trees side by side in a row that are arch shaped like this and reflect in the pond. And you can get the 3 circles in a row nearly touching each other. If you have any interest in this place, I could PM you with more specifics on the location.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have reworked the original with your suggestions and it looks much better. Ed, I now live in Berkshire County in Western Massachusetts. Would like to hear more about Hopkinton Park and its location. Thanks to each of you.

Pat

This works very nicely. The fall colors are a real bonus with the framing bending tree. Sort of agree to see if the bright reflections could be burned down a bit (but no to gray, hopefully), though they don’t bother me all that much.