Delicate Fall Reflections

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

The light! The light is wonderful, and perfectly captured. Was this a cloudy day? Autumn scenes work very differently, I think, on cloudy vs. sunny days. The photo is glowing, which makes it really stand out.

I don’t know what I would have done any differently. It would be nice if the reeds at the waterline could be differentiated from the trees a little better, but that’s not always possible. Maybe the reflection, particularly the part near the waterline, could be made a little darker. But those are minor quibbles and it’s not clear they would actually improve the scene.

Thank you for sharing this.

I like the soft light and your composition. I would suggest adding a little bit of contrast in the midtones. I made a couple of quick adjustments. The first was to darken the midtones slightly using a levels adjustment and the second was to add midtone contrast using a curves adjustment layer with a mids 2 luminosity mask from Tony Kuyper’s luminosity masks action panel. I set the blending mode to luminosity only to avoid pushing the saturation too much. Anyway, just a suggestion. You might see if you like the impact.

I

It was a cloudy day. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and make this edit. I like what your adjustment did to the largest tree on the right of the image.

I like this very much as presented with the subtle pastel colors and reflections. I’m wondering if it could use a very slight CC rotation? I prefer this to the edited version, just as a personal preference.

This, to me, is a different and interesting approach to fall colors. Even though the water reflections are always darker than what they reflect I would still lighten the reflections thusly.

I like the soft light. Feels somewhat like a painting.

I like the painterly feel of this beautiful autumn scene Larry. I agree with Brian’s suggestions.

I really like this photo a lot, the colours are very soft and give the image a peaceful and calm look.

I wonder, do you have any room left at the top of the image, to let the (aspen?) tree breath a little bit more and maybe cut of a bit more of the reflection to really emphasize the trees and reeds.

Because I think the strongest part of the reflection is the part where the lily pads are floating.