Fall leaves repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken on Mass. trip with canon 5DIII, no other details. Would have preferred some water foul present.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. Added Vignetting and rotated photo and removed the darker shadow from the bottom center.

Hi John, thanks for sharing this image with us. Yeah, it might have been nice to have some ducks, but this is still a pretty pleasing with the nice reflection. I also like that you captured this scene with early season fall color, it demonstrates that you don’t need to have peak autumn to come away with something worthwhile. I like the different layers within this image, while the colors of these layers are primarily green/yellow, the varied textures of the layers create some nice contrast.

In terms of suggestions for tweaks, I would start by saying the waterline looks like it is leaning to the left, and would recommend rotating it clockwise. I also think the image would benefit from adding some vignetting to darken the edges, and draw more attention to the center of the image.

Thanks Ed, I agree and will repost. Thanks very much for the helpful critique,

That’s a lovely scene, the color pallete is quite beautiful. For my personal taste, I might crop out the sky as I find it a little distracting from the tones in the vegetation. I could also see a little more room for the red tree on the right to make it a more deliberate part of the composition or exclude it altogether as it feels a little cramped. That’s just my humble opinion on what’s still a very pretty scene.

John,
I am really enjoying the wonderful fall colors and reflection. I agree with @robb_hirsch and would crop out the sky to simplify the composition. For me the bottom 2/3 is the strongest part of the image and the sliver of sky does not does add much.

WHAT? Is your full name really John Wayne Williams? I’m also John W. Williams, but the W is for Wallace. I always told my parents it would have been so much cooler if they had named me Wayne. (Wallace was an Uncle.)

Echoing some of the above, I love the mix of colors. Those purplish guys in the center really add. I’d either leave that reflection dark or brighten the shore; I wouldn’t expect the reflection to be brighter than the real thing. The vignette is a great addition.

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. The repost addresses most of them. John I’m glad to see others with similar names. Believe my Mother had a thing for the John Wayne the movie actor. Resemblance stops there because of my 5’ 7" height . Of course, my stature is tad above actual.
Thanks for taking your time to assist.
Wayne

2 Likes

I am a little late to the party, but I think you nailed it with your last repost John. That simplified the image down to all the best elements. This has a lovely arrangement of subdued fall color along with a lovely reflection that is very appealing IMO. Nicely done!

Thanks Ed, Your comments are appreciated.
Wayne