Tuolumne River Cascade

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

By sheer luck, I entered Yosemite NP from the east on the first day it opened in late July. I went immediately to a favorite spot, classic Yosemite, where the Tuolumne leaves its tranquil meadow and plunges into a canyon where moving water and polished granite dominate the landscape. In this location, you can safely walk right up to the roaring river. Later in the season, the river flows gently here through perfect swimming holes. I had trouble getting the distant peak (Unicorn Peak, I believe) into many of the shots, but I thought this one was good enough to connect snow and snowmelt in the viewer’s mind.

Specific Feedback

After shooting a few slow-shutter images using an ND filter, I shot this at a high shutter speed to try to capture the violence and speed of the water. Would like thoughts on the stop action, the quality of the black and white treatment and the in-your-face composition.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6II, F/11, 1/2500th, ISO 250, 24MM. Of course I was shooting in bright sun, although I know better, and so I underexposed these shots to retain detail in the whitewater.

2 Likes

I know this spot really well. I like water that’s frozen in time like this over the misty effect that’s popular these days. The sky looks unnaturally dark. I would lighten it a bit but not enough to lose the clouds. I would experiment with that.

There is so much energy here. It was the combination of energy and those sensuous smooth rocks that I always found amazing about this place. The water just raced across those smooth rocks. But how to capture that in a still image?

Thanks Igor. Will look at that sky again.
How frustrating to find a place that is overwhelmingly visual but hard to photograph in a way that really captures it. The sound alone is an experience.
I can see from some of my other images from that day that I could have worked harder on composition. The trouble is, I get excited out there and just start firing away. I’m also inclined to get right up on the water, fill the frame, and fail to capture the larger context. Is it Yosemite or anywhere in the Sierra?
I suspect that for a start, I’d need to go back and spend a whole day working the scene on a tripod.

Hi James, I’ve never been to this area before, but I can see why this spot is a favorite of yours. Your image makes me think of similar days I’ve had when the runoff is raging in late spring and early summer. I like the stop action and the way it conveys the power of the river. I think the composition is really nice, too. I enjoy studying the different channels the water is flowing through, and the string of large boulders in the river leads my eye back to the peak in the background.

James,

This is a wonderful image and I think a great choice to go b&w here.

I think your composition is excellent and I agree with you on your thinking the faster shutter speed works towards showcasing the power of the water. I know I have a natural tendancy to also use the longer shutter speeds for the grace and flow of the water… but I really think you’ve nailed the essence of the raging run off.

Since Igor mentioned the sky, it made me take a closer look to see if I agreed. Of course the nitpicker that I am… I immediately spotted the dust bunnies… no biggie, but certainly take care of them if you’re going to print. To me, I’m not sure it’s the bright or darkness level of the sky, but the contrast. It’s great that you’ve got some whispy clouds - they’re a good bonus. The the contrast in the sky is much flatter than the rest of the scene. I’d almost want to see a more dramatic sky where the clouds are white and the blue is actually darker. But I’m not sure about that.

On balance, I think all of it is working beautifully.

In all my years going to Yosemite - I’ve yet to hit this area (not yet anyway!)

Thanks for sharing,

Lon

Thanks so much Lon.
To access the river canyon, park at Pothole Dome and take the trail that winds where meadow and dome meet. Less than a mile.

Much appreciated John. Glad to hear the distant peak makes this a proper landscape instead of just a raging waters capture!
I’m really trying to open up my landscape compositions. I suffer from chronic TCS — Tight Crop Syndrome.