Roadside Cascade +alt

Edit: alternate crop considering Ben’s comments. thanks Ben!

Seems like it’s been weeks since I posted. I’ve been a bit busy with a couple trips out of town that have kept me from commenting as much as I normally like to. I’m also getting low on new work! This one here, actually two, of another small cascade along Highway 140 just outside Yosemite NP from my trip about a month ago.

These are two different frames; the second one is not a crop of the first, but just slightly cropped version from a tighter view.

Nothing creative or exciting here. But as always welcome all comments and feedback.

Thanks in advance!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments appreciated. Pretty straight forward images.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

first image shot with Nikon 28-300mm @48mm f/16, 1/3s iso 100
second image: Tamron 70-200mm @145mm f/18 1/2s iso 100

1 Like

Lon, glad to have you back and posting again! These are both nice but I do prefer the wider view because of the surrounding greenery and sense of place. I think your colors are spot on for spring time! This little water fall has a very nice viel along it’s entire length of multiple cascades. It is quite delicate looking. I can’t remember seeing one with those nice qualities. We have very few water falls in my relatively flat home state so it’s nice to see them here!

I like both, Lon. I would clone out the light brown rock center bottom in the tight image but otherwise, both look good.

Go Sharks. Great game 7.

1 Like

Lon, I will give it a try to comment on this image. We don’t have any cascades, so its always special to me. I think the top one is to much and the lowest to little. Although I like the second on most but give it some more space . Exposure time maybe could a little faster, so I can see the water run a bit more. My opinion, I hope its a good comment for you.

Thanks for the comments folks, appreciate it very much.

@Ben_van_der_Sande, appreciate your honest critique and observations. I see what you mean about something in between. I’m posting a crop from a different frame where the shutter speed is a little bit faster, I think 1/6th sec.

One issue I had with cropping of this cascade was cutting off both the top AND the bottom. So in the alternate post I left room at the top to allow the water to enter the frame. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks!

Maybe contrast the green and water vs. the rest a bit?

2 Likes

Lon, you handled the exposure quite well for this. The 1/2 sec worked well at distance to allow some detail and avoid the silky look. My very first thought when you originally posted it was because of the tall aspect that it begs for a tall, skinny crop. And after revisiting it I’m glad you did. My preference is the last because it’s more inclusive, while the crop in the second feels a little awkward. For the last I think you could include just a hair more of the top as an option, and I believe that would also work cropping a bit more of the sides.

Lon, not sure how I missed this one, but it is excellent. The original works just fine IMO. However, I’m really open to the cropped idea too, but maybe not as tight at the top. I think leaving the look of seeing the open area very slightly makes it look like it was not cut off.
But, as always that is personal tastes there. Regardless, in the end you’ve got enough at the top on the original to play with a few different looks as you see fit.
This truly is a wonderful cascade all around…:+1:
EDIT: after scrolling up and down I like the crop to just slightly above the top of the large rock on the right where the cascade first starts it’s decent…:sunglasses:

Looks good @John_Williams. thanks!

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Bill_Leggett for your comments and suggestions. Lots of possibilities here and I like your idea of a bit more room up top Paul.

I like the third one best, as it makes it a little unknown as to the scale. I like the edits that John Williams did to pop the colors. I assume this is one of those unnamed falls that occur anywhere in the vicinity of Yosemite during a rainy winter. Nice to notice the little, less dramatic ones and this is a lovely rendition.