Turret Arch

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Enough separation from the background?
Adequate detail in the sandstone?
Are the spectral highlights distracting?
Should the sky be darker?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Turret Arch overlooks Water Canyon, a shallow ravine built by early settlers to divert water from the Sevier River. Approximately 40 men, digging with hand tools, began work in 1889. On May 23, 1892 their work was completed, and water from the plateau flowed down through Water Canyon. The canal would become known as the Tropic Ditch, taking its name from the new town whose future this precious water secured.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 30mm; f/7.1 @ 1/160 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish from the list above.

Is this in Arches NP Bob? Been there, but don’t remember this one. I think you chose a good perspective which really shows the arch off nicely. Separation, detail, and sky all look fine to me and the highlights don’t distract. You took advantage of the nice, soft lighting, so between that and your composition you created a great portrait of this arch.

Thank you @Jim_Lockhart for your kind comments. This is from Water Canyon in Bryce Canyon, NP. I also have images of the Turret Arch in Arches NP, but this is not one of them.

Appears to be in Bryce Canyon National Park. First impressions: I like the composition; really pulls the eyes in; might be slightly over exposed though no highlights are blown out. Did you use a polarizer as I believe that would reduce the brightness of the rock and give more definition to the sky.

1 Like

Thank you @Kent_Bossange for your comments. Yes, this is in Bryce Canyon NP. Although I have a polarizing filter I was not using it. You may be correct that I should have employed it here.