Turtle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I think turtle eyes are quite cool looking. Saw this guy this morning at my neighborhood boat dock.
I think this is a snapping turtle.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/400s, hand held

A snapper for sure. Their eyes are really cool. I haven’t photographed them often, but when I have it’s the eyes that get me. They are oddly skittish though for creatures that are nearly unkillable as adults. I’ve seen some as big around as bed pillows slide off rocks before I get within hailing distance in the kayak. Big babies. So bravo for not scaring this one. The odd reflection is a bit strange and you could clone it out without any diminishing the shot I think.

Allen, snapping turtles do tend to be shy, but I have had one slowly come over and check me out as I sat alongside it’s home pond. Being able to see nicely through the water is a major bonus in this view. The details in the eye and face look great.

An interesting frame, I feel you can emphasize more upon eye by going for a tighter crop.