Two more dragonflies mating

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I shot this 2 weeks after the previous post, at the same pond and a very close location – I wonder if it could be the same amorous couple? This isn’t as clean an image, but the best angle I could get. Canon 1DX2, 100-400 II + 2X at 800mm, f/11, ISO 1600, 1/1000. On a tripod using manual focus – f/11 was wide open and the camera will only autofocus to f/8. Cropped to 24% of the original frame. Minor toning down of BG elements. Topaz AI Denoise and Sharpen.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow, another really nice shot of these dragonflies, Diane. Wonderful details, and I’m okay with the background, as I realize it is out on a pond. Very nice.

Diane: In this view I think the OOF BG stems are a plus and lend context without being distracting. Even on a tripod and at your SS it requires really good technique to get a good shot with a rig like yours. Many kudos! :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks guys! That rig is definitely an exercise machine, along with the big RRS tripod and Wimberley head, but it’s worth it.

1 Like

Diane, getting both members of a dragonfly couple nice and sharp is a big challenge. Again, you’ve done that very well. It’s unlikely that this is the same pair, two weeks later. There are likely multiple males and females hanging around, unless it’s a very small pond.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver – it’s a very big pond so probably lots of these. And some busy birds gobbling them up – THAT is the picture I want!

Diane, Great find and beautifully made. Great details and the sharpness on the insects. Nice composition as well. Great work on getting both the insects in the same focal plane.