Uncropped

This is a straight out of the camera jpeg taken as part of my Digital Film Project. I often roam the Wisconsin backroads in search of rural scenes and abandonment. I don’t believe this barn or farm is abandoned, but the farmer still had standing corn in the field in early November. The barn and silo are typical for this area. The rounded roof helps keep snow and ice from accumulating.

I like this one because there is still detail in the clouds and the rest of the scene looks pretty good.

Specific Feedback Requested

CC welcome. I didn’t like to wander into the field too far because it is a working farm, but other field techniques or advice are good.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld using my Digital Film custom mode which is basically manual everything, including focus, and no looking at screens, historgrams or anything except through the viewfinder. Black and white in-camera filter.

No processing. No cropping.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris, I really like your digital film challenges. You’ve done nicely and this one is no exception. The framing is great, placement of the subject terrific and it has an old time farm feel to it. Excellent.

Thanks, @David_Bostock - it’s been a bit of a learning curve for me in the sense that my in head metering sometimes doesn’t translate to digital. I recently did a “roll” in the snow doing minimalist stuff, but even overexposing a stop to a stop and 1/3 wasn’t enough to get the snow really white. It was still kind of a dingy gray, much to my chagrin. Luckily I always shoot RAW as well and so you’ve seen some of the processed work from that session, but the jpegs are pretty dismal.

1 Like

Yeah, snow’s tough. I remember in the film days seeing guidance to meter on the snow and over expose by two stops…Using a spot meter would work there…

Good luck and can’t wait to see more of your project.

That is a good idea. I used to shoot with an Olympus OM-3 which had a pretty sophisticated spot meter, but I got out of the habit of using it when I switched to digital. Maybe I’ll add a function button to my Digital Film mode that gives me the spot meter.

I like the rather forlorn winter look. I did a bit of a crop for an alternative. Processing looks good.

Thanks Harley. Yeah, I should have cropped out that light pole in camera since I’m not allowed to crop or do any processing with my Digital Film project. So this is SOOC jpeg - the Lumix G9 did all the processing. I do have the RAW file as well and that should get a crop.

I’ve reset my base custom mode for doing a roll of “digital film” and have a spot meter function in place of the level which is a no-no.