Under My Wing

Edit, with Peter’s suggestions: I couldn’t bear to tone the grasses down too much… Thoughts on which you prefer?

original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Loon and chick
Lac Le Jeune, Kamloops, BC
Taken from a small boat in the lake
There are several pairs of mated loons on this small lake, known for it’s red-fleshed rainbow trout (ruby red rainbows). Unfortunately, there are also eagles, so many young chicks are picked off within a day or two of hatching. This little guy is 2 days old.

Specific Feedback

all comments appreciated
Is this too centered? I needed to leave room for the “virtual” tail of the mom, but didn’t want a lot of dead space on the left.

Technical Details

an old borrowed Canon

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Sandy
Very cool mother daughter photograph. The only this I would look at, is adjusting the highlight and deep green of the grass.( I know that’s what the grass looked like, but making them less dominant will help the viewer find the chick).
Peter
This is what I was saying.

A beautiful shot, Sandy. I didn’t notice the young one at first. It looks as if he has his doubts about emerging.

Chickie was in the water immediately below the nest, when we floated by. He quickly dashed up the nest mound, under mom’s wing - but couldn’t help peaking out to see what we were up to.

Peter - thanks for taking the time to offer this! Much appreciated!
I agree that the softer grasses might draw attention more easily to the chick.
But I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have to look more closely at an image to see the different areas. Makes us work a little bit! :slight_smile:
Edit posted.

This is another wonderful image Sandy. It really speaks to taking the little ones under your wing and protecting and teaching them about the world. I really want to pet the mother and if I could see the fluff more, I’m sure I would like to pet that little one too. As stated by others, the little one is such a nice little surprise when you take a good look.

Hi Sandy, great under the wing look at this chick. The adult is mighty fine too. Love the sleekness and the red eye. I prefer the original with the more vibrant grass colors.

Sandy
I agree with you on presenting nature as it is and your photograph provided a good look into the nurturing nature of a mother Loon. Your photograph gave me an opportunity to bring it into DXO PhotoLab to explore how I might highlight the Loon chik. Hope you understand.Peter

Peter - Of course! I love seeing other people’s visions of my and other’s work - it always gives me ideas and inspiration! ALL comments, thoughts, and suggestions are always most welcome .

Hi Sandy. It’s been busy lately (and starts again tomorrow) so I’m a bit late to this one. I personally like the grasses in the original. I could see bringing up the highlight in the chick’s eye if you want people to find it more easily. I tend to like to leave things like that as a surprise or use the title to lead them to look for it.