Loon with Chick

This was in 2014 - looking back, using newer processing methods.
Trying to get as low as possible in a boat shot full frame with a 600, lens - original a bit tight > added some real estate at the top and to the right to give it some space

Here you go @Hans_Overduin and @Dennis_Plank - increased real estate around and lightened the darker reflections some - thanks both of you!
Got some practice with that Crop / Content aware combo

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Colors ?
More space to the right ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
The Loon was moving, so I chose a faster shutter speed
1/3200secs / F 8.0 / iso 1000 on a Nikon D4s body

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A dream-like moment for me: having a Loon with a chick on its back… Techs look fine, adding a bit of space on the RHS could work well. The reflections (alternating blocks of green and brown) however distract a bit from the subject, with is the only thing I would like to have been different. At the same time, this was out of your influence and solving it in PS would involve (a) good skills in PS and (2) an ethical standard that allows such an invasive change to the original image… Other than that it is fantastic ! Cheers, Hans

I suppose I could dodge the darker areas within the reflections in the water without any ethical issues - thanks @Hans_Overduin

A beautiful shot of this loon and it’s chick, Karl. I think you could add some more real estate all the way around on this one, it still feels pretty tight, though it would make a great field guide shot.

A shot I’m sure we’re all envious of. Simply beautiful. I think the added space helps.

1 Like

Isn’t that a slick feature, @Karl_Zuzarte? I use it a lot!

So adorable this loon and it’s chick I couldn’t even focus on any of the technical aspects of the photo. I think it is an amazing photo Karl. For me, the colors of the background work very well in reflecting the feeling of the natural environment. Really nice capture.

1 Like

Ahh, I’d die to see loons carrying chicks. Light is great, and the exposure looks spot on–a very difficult thing to do with loons. Those whites are bright. I agree about the different colors in the reflection being a bit distracting. Did you happen to get a shot of the loon in only the green water?

Wow, I don’t think I have ever seen a Loon in my life, much less an opportunity to take a photo of mother and baby! Great shot, Karl.

I have always wanted to see this but Loons are quite rare in my area. I like what you’ve done since you took the original picture. Superb color detail and composition.

Thanks Shirley - guess i got a bit lucky

Thanks David - got lucky I guess

This is the best green water Loon from that day @Lyle_Gruby

Very cool,Lyle, but I agree with your choice to present. That head turn is a bit disconcerting. It would make a great Halloween mask.

1 Like

They are all lovely shots. Really nice. Of the full side view I prefer the first one. And of the green/brown bg for me it is fine. It is where the birds were at.