Common Loon with chicks 2019. Calais, Vermont

Spending time on the ponds of Vermont with these beautiful creatures and there young ones is so enjoyable and at the same time relaxing. My time schedule is usually early mornings for a launch of my kayak as I really shoot for calm conditions, and look for neutral backgrounds that allow for nice reflections.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That sure does sound fun and relaxing, Mitch. That explains the being down more at their level, shooting from a kayak, which is a real bonus. A lovely image of this beautiful family, and all three facing the camera. My only suggestion would be to try to brighten up the faces a bit so that we can enjoy seeing their eyes a bit better.

1 Like

The comp is nice and the triangular arrangement of mama loon and her chicks work well in the composition. Well done…Jim

I, too, say: “Well done.”

Sounds like a perfect way of shooting these divers. A dream shot to me, love it ! Cheers, Hans

Thank you Hans! I makes my summer complete photographing these beautiful mysterious creatures!!

A very pretty image. The low angle really adds to this image. Nicely captured.

Very nicely done, Mitch. I like the composition and the low angle as others have mentioned. I do think it might work even better if the loons were a little further right in the frame but it’s still an excellent image.

Beautiful capture. I love the DoF from a low perspective, starting slightly out of focus, perfect focus on the birds then trailing out of focus, so there is no distraction from the background…just wonderful color contrast. Only two very small suggestions to try. Remove the dark spot in the upper left side, and maybe darken the top just a bit, to hold the eye in the frame longer.