Summer Cruise

Common Loon with 10 day old chick. Taken on July 4th, 2020. Overall I’m happy with this image.
Shot with Canon 5D MK4, 100-400L IS w/ 1.4 extender. My goal is to capture with a neutral BG and land a reflection.

Curtis Pond, Calais, Vermont.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Mitch, you did a nice job getting both faces in profile with enough light on them.

I always like shots like this, in which the ripples in the water add some eye-catching patterns to a subject’s surroundings. Did you manage to capture any frames without the lighter (tree trunk?) reflection? It’s definitely drawing the eye.

Max

(btw - this probably needs to be moved to the Avian gallery.)

Very nice frame of the loons. Details looks very nice, head turn of the Mom is great.

I’d like to see two things: more room all around as this feels cramped in the frame.
Tone down or remove the bright reflection in the upper right corner.

I’ve tried to move this to the Avian Critique and am not able to do so. I don’t know why, but I get a 404 error when I attempt to move it.

Hi Mitch !
Great head turn and beautiful moment !
You already have great suggestions from Max and Keith. I’m finding strong blue cast in the shadows and did you do any cloning on the head of Loon?

PS. I too tried shifting it to Avian Critique but go error.

Hi Mitch
Great taxi ride shot. If I spent two days photographing Loons and only came a way this this shot, I would be very happy. A little more room and toning down the blue would just to a good photograph.
Peter

Very good, Mitch. Excellent low angle and you caught them turned perfectly. Others have mentioned the tightness of the framing and the bright reflection. I’m envious as we don’t have many breeding loons locally. I have a lake in mind that I’ve been planning on going to, but Covid got in the way of that and so many other things this year.