Underneath Skálafellsjökull

Glacier photography is the niche I’d like most to pursue, and as I am a glaciologist, I suppose I’ll have ample opportunity. No work on this trip, just three weeks in Iceland last August, including a lovely overnight backpack along the edge of the Skálafellsjökull glacier. Melt processes along the side of the glacier leave lots of little windows and galleries that, when the light is just right, become … Luminescent? Transcendent? Pretty rad?

By glacial standards, this isn’t especially old ice (snowflake to melt-out usually happens in a brisk 500-600 years, as compared to the hundreds of thousands of years common in Greenland and Antarctica. However, it is unlikely that this newly exposed rock has seen the light of day in at least the past 10,000 years or so. Iceland probably had smaller glaciers than at present in the warmest part of the early Holocene (after the end of the last ice age), but since that time, they probably haven’t retreated as much as they have in the 21st century. Unbelievably, catastrophically, it is even plausible that Iceland could lose all of its glaciers over the next few centuries unless we get a grip on global greenhouse gas emissions.

Specific Feedback Requested

I welcome all criticism, constructive or otherwise!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII with Tamron 70-180 mm at 114 mm; f/16 at 1/3 sec; ISO 100. Two image focus stack; normal processing for tonal balance in Lightroom and Photoshop (TK8 tools).

5 Likes

I love the light through the ice. I assume you are looking through an “ice bridge”, or did you crawl into a ice cave? Typical geologist, can’t separate work and vacation. :slight_smile:

The different colors of the ice and light coming through are quite striking. It seems like the streaks of dirt (or ash?) tell a story. It’s kind of intriguing to figure out exactly what I’m seeing. The first ice is evident - the rock and the opening not as much. I’d almost like to see just a little bit more on the bottom, but that’s just me I think. Really lovely ice!

1 Like

As with a previous poster, I don’t really know what I am looking at, so I do appreciate the narrative. I love the colours and patterns, though.

Jeff, the multiple colors in the ice are amazing. There’s a fine mix of yellow, green, and blue as well as nice eye movement along the yellow section and up into the rest of the glacier. (As a minor nit, the very bright, yellow bit near the top center looks over exposed.)