Jökulsárlón - Iceland

The Vatnajökull glacier breaks apart and deposits enormous pieces of ice into a nearby lagoon and the ultimately the ocean. The beaches in the area are entirely volcanic formed in nature and therfore are covered in shades of black rocks and sand.

Specific Feedback Requested

At first I felt the white balance was off leading to a very cold white effect, but now I feel that this cold white is more emblematic of being at a glacier.
Does it seem unnatural or off?

Any other feedback is also very welcome, thank you kindly.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
EF70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

ISO 200 – 123 mm – f/5.6 – 1/125s

@bezzios

I like the cool, somber tones, but I wish for a little more DOF in the FG.

I think the choice of White Balance is very fitting for this location, Iceland at the coast is white, black, blue and grey, and this captures it perfectly. I agree with @Michael_Lowe , the use of f 5.6 to create narrow depth of field leaves you with not enough foreground sharpness in the rocks. I think it’s okay for the background sharpness to fall off, but I have a hard time getting past the foreground softness.

I assume your goal was to use selective focus and narrow DOF to isolate the icebergs. I think they are already pretty well isolated in luminosity against the dark rocks. And I’m bothered by having some of the nearest icebergs go soft too. In my opinion all the icebergs should be sharp.

That was very much my intention, I was definitely fighting the light and trying to keep a heavy lens stable while still being handheld. That being said, I agree with your critique. I think I’ll try to aim more in the realm of f/7.1 for this type of landscape. Thank you kindly.

I tried recropping to keep limit the foreground softness but now the background softness seems oppressive.