Untitled

Image Description

Woodlands can be frustrating to work with when the understory is thick and chaotic, but it helps when the sky turns into a giant diffuser…

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Technical Details

1/400 sec f/5.6 iso640 255mm, handheld

Yes, Benjamen, overcast skies often make for fine, saturated (fall) colors, with the reduced contrast allowing more detail to be seen. I like how you’ve got the two trees off to the side, visually balanced by the yellows below and behind them. The bright green strip along the bottom is a visual surprise, that I’m having to spend some time thinking about/viewing it. While it would be “easier” viewing to crop it off, I’m not convinced that’s a better way to go. I also notice significant extra brightness between the two tall trees, where I’m guessing that you did some dodging. When the luminosity difference between what you want to dodge and it’s surroundings is limited, one way to go is luminosity masks. If you’re not familiar with those, do a web search to see how to create them with your software.

Thanks Mark. Good eye, there’s an inverse half stop radial mask centered on those trees. The shot dates back to 2021. Today, I’d probably use luminosity masks to get the tree trunks/bark to pop instead.