Vanishing Point

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken, from a boat, on Lake Minnewanka in Banff, Canada. On a family vacation, with lots of bad weather and good photo opportunities. I was going for moody in my processing of the image.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Taken with a Sony NEX6 (its from a while back!) using a Sony 16-70 lens at 16 mm (24 mm full frame equivalent). Conversion to black and white, cropping, some tonal adjustment, and a small amount of blue toning in Lightroom.

Will, you found a great scene in a gorgeous place.

I’m wondering about the contrast in the water. The shapes of the blocky reflections on the right and the serrated edge on the left both give me a little pause. The reflections in the lower left also seem to have more contrast than what they’re reflecting, which doesn’t happen much in nature. Of course, I may be completely wrong.

Nits aside, it’s a very nice shot.

You definitely got moody with this image Will. It goes on and on into the cloudy distance. I like the overall balance and the BW treatment really works well.

Will, you nailed “moody” and I think this is gorgeous. I love the detail in the storm clouds and it looks like what it must have felt like. The flat water gives a nice "calm before the storm"contrast and adds to the anticipation that something is brewing. I’m just starting to work some in b/w and I’m taking notes!

Will, this is very nicely dramatic, with the threatening sky and the long view down the lake. The vanishing point does a good job of almost vanishing…

Will, you achieved your objective, very moody indeed and nice candidate for B&W. I used to have a Nex 6 and it’s a fine camera for travels. The light is very interesting too, with the varied tones in the clouds. The reflection on the left almost looks like castle ramparts, but I’m sure it’s the trees on that side of the lake.

Thanks you all for your comments.
@Don_Peters , the odd reflections in the water aren’t artifacts of processing, they are there in the original capture. I think some of it is a result of the sheer cliffs surrounding the lake, and some might be from the wake of the boat.