Variable Dancer-Argia fumipennis violacea

Description:

The variable dancer is a damselfly that sports a purple exoskeleton in the Northern part of its range. This one may have taken a dunk into the Duck Pond as there is a dried piece of filamentous algae and mud on its wings. The large version contains a lot of detail that was captured in this scene.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 200mm f4 Micro (1/200 sec at f16, ISO 800) Levels, Topaz DeNoise, Dust bunny removal, OOF grass leaf removed below abdomen.
Is this a composite?
No (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

This one is very good with all its details on the wings and elsewhere. I also like the plant it sits and the OOF green lines in the BG.

1 Like

Jim, Variable dancer’s have shown up at my pond just in the last week. The details here are outstanding. I’m thoroughly enjoying the bit of fiber stuck to it’s wing. The one that I see is significantly more purple…maybe I’ll get a shot later. I like the “pond textures” in the background.

1 Like

Nice look at this guy, Jim. Details are excellent and background is good. Well done.

1 Like

Beautiful details and colors! Love the way his mouth is open, it kind of looks like he’s having a chat with you!

1 Like

Great capture, Jim. The dried grass, the “tail” of the damselfly and the OOF green grasses in the background all work so well in pulling my eyes right to the head of the damselfly. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Jim, I’m enjoying everything about this image, I can’t think of a thing that would improve it. Great shot.

1 Like

Fascinating subject with wonderful control of the focal plane!! Very nice “lines” in both the perch and BG.

1 Like

Jim: A great subject, terrific perch and a marvelous BG. Superb image. >=))>

1 Like

Jim …tack sharp end to end …not an easy task. You nailed this one

Balan Vinod

1 Like

I’m now not seeing a thumbnail image here at all now.

Hi @Jim_Zablotny , could you edit your original post and re-upload this image? It seems to be one of the few that got lost during the recent move. Thank you and sorry for the trouble!

@David_Kingham uploaded the image and everythiug worked fine. Thank you.

1 Like