Veins of a forest

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

As for me, I like the foresty feel it has. There are faded lines, sort of like human veins, even in the top white area. It makes me think of a system out there in the forest. Nothing is by chance.

Creative direction

I was going for an intimate landscape composition style. I wanted it to be a little abstract as well, as there is not one single point where the eyes get drawn for long. But I am unsure if this is the right approach when dealing with a little complex intimate abstract landscapes.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic, Emotional

Technical Details

This is also a multiple-exposure shot.

Description

As for me, I like the foresty feel it has. There are faded lines, sort of like human veins, even in the top white area. It makes me think of a system out there in the forest. Nothing is by chance.

I like this, Subha. All the veins do make it very interesting to spend time examining. You mentioned not having anything to focus on in the composition, but my eyes do go to the dark structure in the middle that looks like a broken tree. One minor suggestion: just above the treeline on the left is a lone tip of a tree that looks completely unsupported and it tends to draw my eye quite a bit.

1 Like

Welcome Subha! This is an intriguing multi exposure image. I thought this was a water reflect at first. Perhaps it’s the top section that was the reflection. Regardless, this is a complex abstract image with some wonderful details to explore. Also like Dennis, my eye is drawn to the dark inverted tree in the center.

For some reason, I get this ominous feeling from the image. It has a dark mood. I feel like the branches and “veins” are reaching out trying to trap me.

Well I really like the image. The effect you got from the multiple exposure it’s really interesting.
I’m with @Dennis_Plank on the unsupported spot on the left (don’t know why but it really grabs my eye).

The main trees on the middle are a bit of a attention magnet but maybe if you just raise those black a bit it will grab the attention and then release to the rest o f the image.
A bit on your doubt, these trees grab the attention and focus but this image is so much more. If you want a single point of interest try a more central crop (maybe square) and the subject will no longer compete with the rest of the image and the rest of the image will not be putted on second place by it.
(Hope I could explain myself :smile: )

Also, and this is more of personal taste, the signature on the image (especially in white) really stands out and distracts.
Really want to see more images like this :wink:
Cheers

2 Likes

[quote=“Dennis Plank, post:2, topic:36723, username:Dennis_Plank”]
…I like this, Subha. All the veins do make it very interesting to spend time examining. You mentioned not having anything to focus on in the composition, but my eyes do go to the dark structure in the middle that looks like a broken tree. One minor suggestion: just above the treeline on the left is a lone tip of a tree that looks completely unsupported and it tends to draw my eye quite a bit.
[/quote] Thank you!!! I completely missed that

amazing thank you… and sorry about the watermark!! I exported it and my lightroom started to back up and I didn’t want to wait.

I will try the central crop as well as increasing the blacks.

Glad you liked this.

Hi Subha. This is quite creative. Your vein analogy really comes through. And I agree with Alfredo that this has a dark mood - rather melancholy (which I adore). You said you wanted this to be on the abstract side. To that end, it might be beneficial to darken the “sky” (actually, if you could darken it and increase the contrast so the lighter veins show, that would be really interesting). It’s one thing I’ve learned from Alfredo and others - in an abstract, it’s often better to have more even luminosity across the frame, rather than large ares of distinct light and dark. In your photo, I think darkening the sky would add to the dark, melancholy mood.

It also might be nice to lighten the light tones in the central part with the dark tree - that would make it more prominent. I would lighten the lights vs. darken the darks, but that is my personal preference. I gave all this shot; the masking on the sky isn’t that great - I’m sure you could do it better with your original images.

Oh, and I cropped to 4:5, off the left.

Subha,

I’ve been a bit absent, so I’m late, but wanted to welcome you to NPN! Looks like you just joined back in June - Welcome!

This one is a mind bender for me - in a good, mysterious way. Clearly these are trees, no mystery here, but the reflection and apparent mult-exposure really gets the imagination stirred up.

You’ve got some great suggestions and I don’t think I can add to them. I love Bonnie’s rendition and agree with others that cropping (even to square) kind of re-focuses the image. I think the rounded shape of branches in the LLC competes a bit with the main cluster of trunkess trees… but no biggie.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like