Vertically Challenged #2

Autumn 2020 photo project, taken on 9/29/20 in Franconia Notch, NH

This is a follow up to my prior post “Vertically Challenged”. This composition provides a little more context and sense of scale to this scene from Cannon Mountain. I think the left to right “downward” flow of the trees works better in this composition, than the “upward” flow in my prior post. In this shot I also wanted to go for a wider view and show the forest at the base of the talus slope.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome, please have at it !

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens at 120mm, ISO 125, 1.0 sec at f16

1 Like

I am liking this Ed, but I tried a couple of changes. I cropped down and popped the vibrance. I think the crop gives more attention to the trees and the fine lines on the hillside.

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman I like what you have done with your rework. The added vibrance is a big help.

I did a lot of shooting this autumn, since shooting locally was the only pandemic travel option for me. I’ve spent November processing my fall images. I’m afraid that I may have been too conservative and have not been saturating my fall colors enough. We had a lot of foggy days this fall which mutes the colors and I think I need to revisit some of these images. Thanks for the help.

This is another great take from Franconia Notch, Ed. Obviously the fog adds some wonderful atmospherics to this fall scene. I like @Harley_Goldman’s vibrance suggestion, but I like your original crop better as I think that little bit of added space shows off the rugged beauty of rock walls in the notch better. I have always enjoyed traveling through Franconia Notch, but only have a few images to show for it.

Ed,

Great job isolating this scene. I didn’t comment previously, but I think this one “flows” better anyway. I really like the fog up top how it contains and frames the scene - as well as gives the viewer a sense of the misty atmosphere.

I like your crop and processing as presented; I think the fog up top somewhat mimics the line of trees at the bottom and so cropping, I think, takes away from that.

Lon