Vertically Challenged 3

Autumn 2020 photo project, taken 9/29/20 in Franconia Notch New Hampshire

This is my third and final take on a foggy morning inside the Notch. For this scene I pointed my telephoto at a different section of the mountain, to extract a comp that had more of the trees at the base of the cliffs. Based on the comments in my prior post, I also got a little less conservative on the saturation of the fall colors.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 200mm, ISO 100, 0.6 sec at f16

Ed; wonderful contrast between the golden textured trees and the hard vertical gray of the rocks. For me, the fog at the top adds another layer of interest with it’s soft feel. Lots to enjoy and be absorbed in this photo. Nicely seen and executed.

I like how tree line and fog line form nice symmetrical curve. And rock has such amazing texture! Feel like trees need to be cooler. Green trees look muddy.

Ed,
Of your three vertically challenged posts this one is my favorite. I like the balance of this composition the best. It may not be as dynamic as the others, but I think the detail, color and texture of the mountain as you have presented it, more than makes up for that. The fog is the icing on this cake!

Another good take on vertically challenged. I pulled up all three and went back and forth. The first one is my favorite. I like the mood and feel of it the best and I like the combo of the wall and scree pattern. It has been an enjoyable series and fun to compare and contrast the versions.

1 Like

I have to say that all three images in your vertical challenged series are beautifully done, Ed. If picking a favorite I am leaning toward the third post as I just love the details and textures in the granite walls particularly that section along the right side of the frame. I am also enjoying the juxtaposition of the rugged granite walls against the fleeting ephemeral fog. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be a slight boost in luminosity of the treeline. You have the knack of creating these beautiful moody scenes incorporating fog.

Lovely series Ed. I had missed the prior two, so took a peek at those as well. My favorite is the first; I love the flow of the trees in that one. This is very nice too, both for the swath of color and the rock detail.

Ed, this series has been great! This one in particular feels like Yosemite rather than NH, even though I know that area very well.

The textures of this are excellent, and the layering is nice. I know you said you were less conservative on the saturation of the trees, but I think you could go even further with it. I think the saturation of the cliff is a little high. The green lichen particularly looks a bit harsh to my eye. I reworked this, with a +14 saturation on the trees and -28 on the cliff.

@linda_mellor @svetlana @John_Williams @Ed_Lowe @Craig_Moreau @Harley_Goldman @Alan_Kreyger thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. sound slik ei may still be a little too conservative on color, I’ll have to play with that some more.

Craig, as a fellow New Englander, you know well the landscape photographer 's jealousy over the White Mountains of NH (4,000 ft. at best) vs. the 14,000 footers in the Rockies. This is one of the few places we have that doesn’t involve strenuous hiking to get views like this. And it’s not really like Yosemite because Mt. Lafayette to the east blocks it from ever receiving golden hour light. Just have to settle for fog…

1 Like