Foggy Franconia Notch

Autumn 2020 - 09/28/20 at Franconia Notch, NH

In New England the term notch means a gap or pass between mountains. Franconia Notch is situated between Cannon Mountain and Mount Lafayette. It is one of those places which makes it’s own weather. It can be sunny a mile outside the notch, but once inside it can be pouring rain. On this day, outside the notch it was somewhat cloudy with a few breaks of sun. But inside, the notch was filled with swirling fog and mist. I tried to find a section of the mountain that had a nice mix of yellow hardwoods and green spruce trees, and settled on this composition.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens at 138mm, ISO 400, 1/15 sec at f11

Rework with small yellow bits cloned out of the LRC, and a dodging of the top center

2 Likes

Excellent batch of color with a fine mood created by the fog. I like the mix of the fall color and the spruce. I might clone out the little bits of yellow in the LRC edge, which would give more emphasis to that little bright stand down there, but pretty minor. A fine autumn image.

Ed, this scene is really enhanced by the weather evoking the autumn mood overall. Excellent… :sunglasses:

Ed,I love the composition . Together with the colors you make the mood of the place alive I think.

The greens are distributed so nicely – the ones in the LR point to the most interesting part of the mist that is swirling toward the viewer. The angles add an element of drama to an otherwise peaceful scene. Lovely!!

@Harley_Goldman @Paul_Breitkreuz @Ben_van_der_Sande @Diane_Miller
thank you all for for comments and suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Harley, thank you for the suggestion on cloning the small bits of yellow in the LRC, I think it does make a nice difference. I did a rework cloning those away, plus after looking a tit further did a slight dodge of the lights near the top center to make those trees stand out a bit more too. Rework is posted back up at the top.

1 Like

Sweet looking image, Ed. I love the yellows here; very similar to what I just posted from a trip to WV. The fog along the top of the frame is outstanding and helps elevate this scene to something more than just some beautiful autumn color. I think those couple of red maples are crucial to this as they help break up the yellows and greens. Your tweaks in the repost are perfect for my tastes. Great eye to spot and isolate this from the surrounding colors.

After comparing this to your more recent image, I do believe you choice of less contrast in that one was intentional because they sure pop nicely here! I too noticed the way the greens point in from the lrc, and I like that effect. Your repost looks great!