View from Ecola State Park, Oregon

This is an oft photographed scene…I have probably shot as much as 100 times in my 37 years in Oregon. This time the tide, the low clouds, and the long exposure combined to make a fun image with the sea stacks tied together by the waves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 100, 100-200 f/5.6, 4 minutes @ f/16, ISO 50, tripod, polarizer, possibly a ND filter. I really wanted that 4 minute exposure.

Processed in Capture One with Fugifilm Across B&W profile.

3 Likes

Wow, I really love the effect of the 4 minute exposure, David. The smoothed water is very beautiful in the foreground, as are the layered mountains in the distance. Looks like we enjoyed similar scenes!

1 Like

Great take on an iconic scene. The 4 minutes exposure is perfect.

I like how the long exposure movement in the water leads my eye from sea stack to sea stack.

Not sure I’ve ever seen an exposure that long, but it sure works here. I love the double curve of the gentle breakers. I’m amazed how defined the high water line is on the left – I assume no other wave came close to it during the exposure.

Soothing, peaceful image David. B/W works so well here. Layers lead me through nicely.

Thank you, @Mark_Muller, @Jim_Gavin, @DeanRoyer, @Diane_Miller, and @Mario_Cornacchione for the nice comments. I really appreciate them.

Diane, I have been doing long exposures for several years now and have found that 4 minute exposures are the sweet spot for soft smooth water and cloudy skies. Fortunately my camera can take exposures up to 60 minutes, so it’s quite easy to set up. Unfortunately, 4 minutes is a long time to stand around waiting for the countdown. And especially when you’re trying for multiple shots. Fortunately I carry my iPhone and a second smaller camera to keep myself entertained.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

David, the long exposure does an excellent job of getting mimicry between the misty/cloudy sky and the flowing surf. The way the bright band of surf surrounds the stacks and follows the coast is great.

David, the OOF white water you captured during that incredible 4 minute exposure is what makes this entire scene work. Particularly all of the white wash in the bottom left quadrant. That ties so nicely into the rest of the scene and I loved how you dodged it to bring those whites out. I am also enjoying the misty, soft and moodiness you got in the background hills and sky. Nicely done. Can’t think of a way to improve this image David.

I like this David. The luminosity and softness of the whitewater is appealing as is the contrast with the sea stacks.

I would be inclined to burn the urban development so that the buildings are similar luminosity to the forest.