Before the Fog w/ revision

Updated:

Original:

A couple weeks ago @John_Williams and I took a 4 day trip to the Oregon coast. This image was taken at Ecola State Park just before sunrise looking south to Canon Beach and haystack rock just as thick fog was rolling in. Within the next 5 minutes or so, it got too foggy to see the city lights or even the near beach.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

D850, 16-35 at 30mm, ISO 64, f4, 30 second exposure

1 Like

This sure came out better than the images I was able to take. I really like the mood and soft colors here. By the time I got back from the parking meter this light was gone and the fog was already rolling in; I’m glad you caught it.

Given how dark it was at this point, I think the processing looks really good. If you can get a tad of detail in those ridges on the left though, it might be worth opening them just a little.

My balance is a little twisted on this one. It looks like the overall scene is a little rotated CCW, but if I look at those light reflection it almost looks the opposite. It may be an illusion due to the fog at the horizon that’s tricking me.

Wow, very cool panorama, Steve. I’ve never had success at including the foreground grasses in the Ecola shots. You managed that quite nicely here. Well done.

Thanks for the comments @John_Williams and @David_Bostock. John, I added a new version at the top to bring out a little detail in the left side cliff. Glad you suggested it because I also noticed a dust spot I missed earlier. As for level, when I checked in Lightroom, the horizon line to the right of the sea stacks was already level, so it must be an illusion. I’m glad I checked though.

1 Like

Steve,

Wonderful, moody seascape. Great job capturing and processing this given the hour and incoming foggy conditions. I really think the lights of Cannon Beach help make the image.

I like the glassy reflection on the beach and the smoothing out of the waves with the longer exposure.

Updated version looks great, although the change is quite subtle.

Excellent image from the Oregon coast.

Lon

Thanks for the nice comments @Lon_Overacker! On the update, I tried to get a little more detail but I thought it started to look unnatural so I backed off. The change in detail is so subtle, I really only posted it to get rid of the dust spot.