Alder Fog

Edit: Here’s @David_Bostock’s suggested flip:

This is a dramatic sunrise over the classic view of Cannon Beach from Ecola State Park. Or, well, that was the original plan.

@Steve_Kennedy and I have had a couple of trips now where we’ve had very different conditions than what we hoped we might encounter. (As another example, here’s an image that was supposed to be the Milky Way over Lost Lake taken back in June.) We spent a few days poking around the central Oregon coast recently, and essentially the whole time we were in fog that did away with any reasonable views of the ocean.

I’m not sure that’s a bad thing, though, because it challenges me to get creative and photograph scenes that I might normally miss. Hopefully it helps me develop as a photographer.

I find the alder that grow on the Oregon coast to be very attractive. This is a group along Highway 101 as we headed south after missing out on a sunrise at Cannon Beach. I liked the way the fog created softer textures and colors. (I played with a black and white conversion, but in the end preferred this.)

Specific Feedback Requested

I usually try to put more contrast in an image, but this one seemed better with a subtle touch. Do you agree?

Any and all suggestion welcome.

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 200.0 mm
1/8 sec. at f/8.0 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: Two images blended for depth of field

Hi John, this is a wonderful, high key image. Nicely done. I think your subtle touch works well here. I downloaded it to flip it horizontally so the trees were leaning to the right instead of the left and it felt like it flowed more smoothly. Terrific image, John.

Thanks David, I’ll post that for comparison.

John,

Love, Love, Love this! Thumbnail view looks like a b&w image, but upon opening the large view we’re greeted with some color! And I really think that the color here is working beautifully. B&W would of course work too, but I’m really enjoying the subtle nature of the colors.

Orientation? I’m a left to right guy and prefer your original. By flipping it, my eye stops at the prominent trees; Where as viewing left to right, I progress from the more fog-obscured trees on the left thru to the more visible trees on the right.

No nits or suggestions. Wonderful image.

Lon

This came out really well John. The fog gave it a nice high key look. I like that you didn’t add a lot of contrast. To me, it has a bit of ghostly abstract look to it. The green color of the lichen contributes to that abstract feel. Well done!

Wow!! I thought this was a snowstorm! Amazing and wonderful!! The foggy shapes are compelling and the high key tonalities are perfect! As to the orientation, I love both and don’t see any compelling reason to like one over the other, for me – and I’m by no means ambidextrous. (But maybe too ambivalent…)

Thank you @Lon_Overacker , @Steve_Kennedy , and @Diane_Miller! I appreciate your thoughts!