Violet-tailed Sylph

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

A Violet-tailed Sylph photographed during our most recent Ecuador photo tour on our multi-flash setup, Canon 5D4, 100-400 at 340mm, 1/200 F16, iso 400, 600ex flash at 1/128, 5 Nikon SB-26 slave flashes at 1/16, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley head.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A wonderful composition and perfect pose from the hummingbird, Nate. It looks like there’s still a touch of motion blur in the wing tips even with the flashes set at 1/16, but I like a bit of wing blur. I’m not familiar with this species, but I’d be tempted to brighten the body a bit to reduce the contrast and give those greens a bit more play in the hummer.

Very nice pose and look back at the camera…Beautiful hummingbird!
Techs look perfect and nice flower. The head and body appear a bit over sharpened.

Thanks Dan, I actually used less sharpening than usual, it seems I don’t need as much with the 5D4 as with my previous cameras. I guess I could have left it unsharpened as I only added in an amount of 60 in smart sharpening with a radius of 0.1

Very dramatic, Nate. Having the flower and the hummer angled through the frame looks great. That tail is amazing.

Impressive color, wing position, and composition. If I were going to do anything I might try to lighten up the wing area a bit to allow more detailed come through. I’m looking forward to seeing some of these.