Velvet-purple Coronets

This shot was taken on our Ecuador tour last January. I liked the 2 poses showing the iridescence.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn
Canon 5D4 100-400 at 340mm 1/200 F16, iso 400, 5 Nikon Sb-26 Slave flashes, artificial background.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Pretty snazzy, Nate. Personally, I think the choice of flower is a bit off for this species. The colors don’t seem to go well together to me and that bright red-yellow tends to pull my eye from the hummingbirds which is too bad given the great poses you got from them.

Quite a kitsch image (meant in a positive way!) - love the lampion-like flower and the pose of the birds. It’s some sort of surreal. Hats off ! Cheers, Hans

Oh wow, Nate, two for the price of one is pretty cool when it comes to hummingbirds in flight. :+1::+1:

An amazing capture! Awe inspiring.

I also like the position of both Coronets here in the image but I find the brightness of the flower draws my attention to the flower rather than the birds. I think if the flower were toned down in the head of the bird on the left were brightened up a bit it would be a lot more compelling image. Please remind me of the fiery throated hummingbirds we saw in Costa Rica. Also my experience there tells me how difficult it is to get 2 birds and focus at the same time. I think of several hundred shots like this fewer than 10 had both birds in focus.