Green Crowned Brilliant Hummingbirds

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is a shot I did a few years ago while I was scouting for a workshop in Costa Rica. We were working on some multi-flash setups at a location and thought it would be good to combine multi flash, with a slower speed to also allow the ambient light to contribute to the exposure and get some blurred wings as well as the effects of a fast flash burst. The flying green crowned brilliant came in right after the one on the left landed. I liked having both and the contrast of a perched and flying hummer.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/60 @ f/5.6, ISO 1600, 3 flashes on the hummer, one on the background.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

For me the perched hummer makes this shot, providing an interesting balance. The background colors work well with the colors of the hummers and flowers.

Wonderful achievement with the lighting, Keith. I’ve not been to Costa Rica, but friends mostly return with complaints about challenging ambient light in many situations. I agree on the combo of one sitting and one in flight. It lends a very nice balance to the graphics.

Oh wow, this is excellent, Keith! Two for the price of one is sweet. Having the perched one does balance the image nicely. The lighting is really great as well. Mission accomplished, I would say.

An excellent composition, Keith. The effect on the wing is really cool. For my taste, the bodies look just a bit too “flashed”. Gorgeous background.

Excellent image. The two hummers really balance this. Well done action scene.

Somehow I passed this up. Keith, it’s great to get them both in a nice frame together, and in the same plane of focus. Would also work great with just a small crop from right. The exposure is excellent and techs top drawer, as might be expected.