Visual fall quilt

Taken on a day last November when I was experimenting with impressionist photography techniques after listening to a Nature Photography School podcast on the subject.

Specific Feedback Requested

General impressions and suggestions for improving the image. Also, thoughts about the gray area in the upper right hand corner

Technical Details

Fuji XT 2, 66 mm, f/13, 1/6 sec, iso 400. This is an in-camera 2 image composite. Minimal post processing, mostly cropping.

2 Likes

I like how you created a dreamy effect while keeping things recognizable. Very interesting to look at.

Hi James,

I enjoy the scene overall. I think it’s a double exposure but I like that it feels like a reflection instead. I don’t have any suggestions on how you could improve it, but the top right corner does bother me. The entire scene is so colorful and vibrant, having that big grey/white section really detracts from that. Being completely different than the rest of the scene it just creates an unnecessary visual tangent. Not sure how you could make the scene feel right with that in there. Everything else looks great otherwise!

Hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

Definitely impressionistic. It’s lovely. Since you asked about the URC, I’ll chime in as I had a similar issue in one of my posts recently where the overall gray “background” didn’t mesh with the warmer tones elsewhere. Since your patch of gray mimics sky, maybe cooling it down to be more blue would help. Here’s a screen snip of what I tried (in Camera Raw). Not sure of your experience level in processing, so if you’d like more input on what I did, let me know.

Thank you Bonnie.

I like this idea and will see what I can do.

Will let you know if I run into problems.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Eric for taking the time to review this and the helpful advice. Both are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jim