Waking up at the river

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any.

There are some small speckles on top of the water…I took out the most distracting ones but there are so many. Are they a distraction? All other composition or editing feedback is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

f10, 1/80, ISO 800, Panasonic GX85 with 14-140mm lens taken at 46mm
Hand held? Balanced against an overpass.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@becky.kuperstein.photography

Very interesting colors and elements in your image. Lets the viewer examine and enjoy each texture in the rocks and twists in the path of the river. Nicely seen and presented.

1 Like

This looks like a very nice place. That water Color and clarity is Amazing.

1 Like

Thank you! I absolutely loved the variation in colors due to the sun rising and all of the interesting textures. It was a special moment.

The water clarity of that river (the Smith River) is the clearest I have ever seen. Such a beautiful area.

I suspected it was the Smith but didn’t want to say so.

1 Like

Lovely, with wonderful textures and colors. I see the specks on the water, but I don’t find them distracting. I hope this spot is still green!

1 Like

Good to hear about the specks. I agree…hoping for the best for that community and so many others nearby.

This is very nice Becky. While I love seeing gorges, I always seem to have a hard time coming away with great images of them. But you have managed to create a very compelling composition that is nicely balanced, and really does a good job of showcasing this interesting location. And here is another vote that the specks on the water are not a distraction.

My only suggestion would be to darken the left 1/3 of the image to better balance the luminosity. I would not go too far in this regard, you would still want to convey the sense that light is hitting the left wall of the gorge.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestion - I will give that a try. I was wondering about that bright section but didn’t play around with it.

I think part of the success of this image was having a great small scene within a beautiful landscape. I have other wide angle images at this location that I don’t love quite as much.