Waning Ice.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I started taking photography more seriously in 2016. The winter of 2016-17 was brutal and cold in Upper Michigan. This created some amazing ice formations on Lake Superior and every day presented interesting and amazing locations to photograph. As the winter wound down, I wondered how I would ever find other interesting things to photograph, the ice had occupied my interest so completely. I recovered from that, but since that time winter has contracted drastically. As we reach the winter of 2023-24 Upper Michigan did not accumulate snow cover until January when we usually get over 110 inches a year. After a short period of cold the temperatures are back in the upper 30s and our snow is melting again. Its a profoundly sad time to be living here. Every time I am out looking for winter photos I am reminded of the significant change that we are living through. Not all aspects of climate change result in destruction of property or injury. So seeking winter where I can I have searched out the small amounts of ice that have accumulated on the lake. This is a drone shot of ice that had accumulated in the harbor, shortly before it disappeared again.

Specific Feedback

It is an unusual composition. Unusual that works or not? I was focused on the ice ‘tail’ and including it in the photo.

Technical Details

6 image panorama shot with a DJI Mini 3. Shot from about 50 meters in the air. Edited in Lightroom.

Unusual or not, this is a great shot! For me it is like a poem, the little string rhymes with the big one on the right side. The black part is in balance with the blue, There is a strong tension between those. I like this very much. Well done, Cameron.

This is a very unique and beautiful image. You could have told me it was of outer space, and I would have believed it! I love the colors and the designs. And the bit of “string” ice off to the side. Its very unique, and I keep looking at it.

1 Like

Definitely unusual and very interesting! I couldn’t tell if it was a drone or you were kneeling at the edge of ice with a macro lens. The uncertainty increases the interest.

Amazing that you can to pano stitching with a drone!

1 Like

I love this as at first I wasn’t sure if it was something from space, pinpoints of light or ice. It makes you take a closer look. The different hues of blue is what caught my attention. I love the small section of ice to the left. For me, it balances the picture. There is also a contrast of large area vs small area. Absolutely love and it is beautiful.

Thank you @HennyJA @sonja @Diane_Miller @Judi_Hastings for your kind words. It seems that I conveyed what I was trying to with the shot. Diane, i have started trying to do more pano work with my drone. It is similar to stitching together a pano on a DSLR. Attempting to move around and get overlap and then put things together in lightroom. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. But when it does I like what it does for the scale of the photo.