Icy sunrise

It was a cold calm January morning on the north shore of lake Erie which was not completely frozen over. I took quite a few compositions but this was my favorite from sunrise. There is something special about a calm winter’s morning

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
8 sec, f/16, 20mm on full frame.

@bryannelsonca
1 Like

The pastel sky really makes this composition, for me.

1 Like

I think the light is beautiful here. It’s just a calm and soft view, which is really nice.

1 Like

Bryan, the calmness (and inviting warmth of the sunrise) are belied by that overturned bit of ice in the foreground. It’s a beauty.

1 Like

Lovely. The angles and focus all draw me into the light. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments it is very encouraging. This image is a few years old. I have been in a bit of a slump with my landscape images recently being stuck close to home. I’ve been more focused on birds and wildlife after recently picking up a 200-600 lens.

I may head to shore of Lake Erie this weekend and try some landscape photography. It’s been fairly cold the last few weeks and should be some good ice by the shore. I find NPN a very encouraging and positive group.

This is lovely!! Wonderful use of wide angle to draw the viewer to the interest in the sky. The frozen FG is otherworldly and I love the hint of pink reflections from the sky. The horizon appears to be falling off toward the right – not sure if it needs a simple leveling or if its more of a wide angle distortion. Fixable with a warp or distort in either case without causing a tighter crop.

Best luck for another foray – I hope we get to see the results!