Waratah Pipelines

Weekly Challenge

Reclaimed by Nature
6/28/26 - 7/4/26
Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

All of the above were shot at the same place; The Waratah Powerstation in Tasmania. We spent a good deal of time roaming around the abandoned site. It was dark, cold and wet.

What I found most amazing about these pipes was that there were all riverted. No welding.

Feedback Requested

I was never really keen on the decaying OOF window frames. Is there just too much OOF? Getting different angles proved too awkward.

Technical Details

Camera: 5D4
Lens: 24-70
Focal length: All shot @24mm
Shutter speed: Ist Image 1/200 2nd Image 1/80 3rd Image 1/125
Aperture: All at f2.8
ISO: All at 20,000
All Handheld

Hi Glennie,
These are captivating. I particularly like the first image above. It think what makes the difference there for me is that the pipeline goes into darkness, getting smaller in the distance as the forest swallows it. That provides a slightly deeper mood or at least a more focused mood: something big becoming insignificant in nature.

The third image is my least favorite. Maybe it’s the out of focus window? Maybe it’s just that there is so much there. We get a sense of the chaos of the site, and it’s a lot to take in. The details in a pipe or junction give us more of a focus.

Nicely done,
ML

Three more WOWs! I love all three – I don’t mind the OOF window frame in the last as it does not beg for attention and fits the perspective. I love that fern in the first, looking so natural in the midst of all the rust. The light on the big pipe and the rivets is so nice – I wouldn’t have thought about it but it must take some precise matching to get tight seams that way. What a special place this is!!! I’m so glad you brought me along for an armchair journey!

Thank you @Marylynne_Diggs and @Diane_Miller ! Your thoughts are always welcomed.

Love them! I especially like the first photo. The pipe just leads the eye off deep into the dark forest. It reminds me of how I imagined the forest to be when I was a little boy. Makes me think adventure, exploration and mystery. Very nice!

Glennie, it looks like you had a good time exploring this old power station. All three views are attractive in their own, and different ways. I do especially like the first one for the glistening pipe and how it leads to that bright “fern”, showing off the contrast of decay and new growth. The mix of piping and machinery in #3 looks good also. As a dedicated stacker, I might have tried a stack here, but I do think that the oof framing is likely to work better.

Glennie: Pretty rare to hit three home runs in a row but you did it with these three. I like all of them but in contrast to @Mark_Seaver I like the DOF you chose on #3. A stack would be cool too but I like how everything fades into focus as you progress into the image. Superb vision and superbly crafted images all. :+1: :+1: >=))>

1 Like

Thankyou @Mark_Seaver . I know you are a “dedicated stacker”, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to pull this off without a tripod.

Another fine set of images of the decaying power plant, Glennie. The first with those lovely ferns along the pipeline is really nice. In the third, I like the inside/outside view divided by the window frame. However, with the frame so dominant visually, I think making the inside edge of the vertical section actually vertical would help keep the image from feeling slanted. Other than that, I like the way the window leads into the frame and divides it.

Visual Notes

[A1] I think this section of window frame should be vertical