Wary

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Too much distraction from leaves in front of the bird’s body?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A wary ptarmigan watches intently while I make my photo.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/5.6 @ 1/4000 sec, -1 EV, ISO 400; handheld, manual focus on his eye

Bob, this is a great catch on this Ptarmigan with the scattered falling snow flakes. Having it “in the brush” seems fitting for where it’s found, even as the bird stand out cleanly. It’s clearly at attention, presumably due to your presence.

Thank you @ Mark_Seaver. I have no idea how many NPNers are familiar with Ptarmigan ( Lagopus lagopus), let alone their preferred habitat—willows. This cock was with a hen and she was deeper in the willows when I spotted them. They were out of range for my lens but I did the old hunter’s zig zag approach stepping one step closer as I made the corners, getting close enough to eventually lie down in the snow, to be at eye level with him. Although he knew I was there the approach took so long that he never became threatened. Auto focus did not work because the only area of high contrast was too small, his eye and surrounding feathers. Manual focus to the rescue.