Snowy Plover

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The snowy plovers are gathering on our local beaches for breeding season. There are fifteen nesting sites that have been identified by the local coalition that manages our wildlife preserve.

Specific Feedback

I had to crop down to get some debris out of this frame. Is the bird too big for the setting? I got a good head turn from the plover, but does the angle of the body away from the camera have a negative effect?

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, iso 400, f8, 1/6400 sec, -1 EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

good job on the color, detail, POV, and comp DOF is superb

Thank you very much @David_Schoen.

• Composition: The angle of the bird is fine, esp. as the all-round focus is good.

• Balance and Visual Weight: I’d like to see a bit more space added to the right.

• Use of Color: Excellent mix of browns, and nicely-muted whites.

• Post-processing: The leaf in LRC and the dark thing along the top edge in BG could be removed.
    (Ed: I’ve chosen you as the guinea-pig here to test the new Critique Box)

Thank you @Mike_Friel. It worked. I could still read the Composition section, just scrolled through it. Thanks for taking th4e time to go through the process for me. Ed

1 Like

Nice job on the plover, Ed. Compositionally, I could see some more room all around as the poor little thing feels pretty crowded in the frame. That would probably introduce more distracting elements like some of the brightly colored beach debris like the one at the top of the frame, but those a actually pretty easily dealt with in post processing. I can’t remember what processing tools you used, but most of them have ways of cloning over or erasing such things. Alternatively, burning or dodging can work wonders to reduce distractions, though it needs to be done carefully.

The low point of view and great eye contact does give this image great presence.