Snowy Plovers Gathering at the Beach

Snowy Plover in Litter Field

Snowy Plover Testing Nest Site

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It is amazing how well these little birds blend in to a plain, wide open sandy beach. You walk along the beach and until they move you do not see them. It is getting toward breeding season for our snowy plovers. They are protected at our local wildlife refuge and along our local beaches. I can’t wait to actually spot a nest with eggs and then with chicks. Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

Specific Feedback

DOF, composition?

Technical Details

1. Canon 7DMii, f8, 1/6400 sec, iso 400m, -1 EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm, small crop.
  2. 1/8000 sec, small crop.
  3. f9, 1/3200 sec, iso 200, 50% crop.

A really nice series of these birds, Ed. I really like the first one with the three birds lining up. The depth of field with the further birds getting more blurred works much better with three lined up like that than with just two.

Thank you again @Dennis_Plank. Still looking for the little ones.

Hi Ed, nice series of images. I think the second is my favorite with a fine catchlight and good sharpness. I’m wondering if the bright horizontal branch could be removed as it competes with the overall scene. They really do blend in well.