Patient Predator

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Enough habitat context?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Perched high in a tree along the Yampa River, this bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) visits this site often, patiently anticipating the unattended eggs of another bird (possibly another eagle, hawk, owl, Raven or Goshawk) to hatch so it can grab the chicks to feed his own brood.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/6.3 @ 1/2000 sec, ISO 400; handheld

Specific Feedback

Whatever you think, positive or otherwise.

A nice environmental image, Bob. I don’t know if that’s the eagle’s nest or not, but the image conveys that impression and it looks like it could be.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comment. I was in the area fly fishing. My guide advised me it was not this eagle’s nest. I did not include that information in the description, but I did suggest it was likely from another species because he visits the site frequently but never with a mate.