Immature Bald Eagle + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The entire underside of the bird is seen as he glides motionless above me. The Bluebird sky makes a perfect “Blue screen.”
I would have preferred more light, especially on his face.

Creative direction

I think this is more of a documentary image than an artistic one.

Specific Feedback

Whatever you think would improve this overall.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 300mm; f/16 @ 1/800 sec; ISO 1000; handheld.

Description

Immature bald eagles, Haliaeetus leucocephalu, have mostly dark heads and tails; their brown wings and bodies are mottled with white in varying amounts. This was captured while I was navigating across Chenega Bay from Kodiak to Near Island.

Nice framing, Bob. I think you could bring up the brightness on the bird quite a bit without it looking contrived.

Thank [you@ Dennis Plank for the advice. I will look into it.

Hi Bob, nice pose you captured. I like seeing the outer wing feathers so distinctly especially the curled up ones on the right. Bird is in a nice diagonal in the frame. I agree with Dennis about lightening the bird especially the head/eye.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks @Dennis_Plank for your direction. I increased the brightness of the bird. It looks OK on my profiled/calibrated display as well as here.

Looks good, Bob.