Watchful Eye

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/1600 sec at f5.6, Iso 560). I am still trying to get some flight shots of these guys,and have failed miserably. This one I took a while ago in early Spring. The BG worked out well and the lighting was nice. The large yellowish bokeh in the lower right of center is somewhat troubling…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Jim
The head shot serenely works as a consolation prize. The eye has a look of what are the doing, or is that how you do that to it. This is a really nice photograph.
Peter

Excellent color, light, and background. Well composed. I think you would have been better off at F6 .3; the area immediately below the red plumage is somewhat soft compared to the rest of the plumage. I am not the least bit bothered by the bokeh.

1 Like

Jim: excellent composition and detail in the head of the crane. I’m not bothered in the least by the yellowish color in the bg. Richard

1 Like

I too like this quite a bit. Detail and sharpening are spot on, and the BG is complimentary, although the straight yellow line looks to be man made. I’ve never seen a sandhill crane, so I’m jealous you can get this close!

1 Like

A lovely Sandhill portrait, Jim. I love the eye.

1 Like

This is a wonderful portrait with great detail and lighting! I love the BG as well – both the softness and the colors. The touch of yellow is lovely but if it were a bit more OOF it would be less eye-catching. Partial opacity cloning could be very effective, or a careful selection of the bird and a slight blur of the BG with Field Blur, which will not blur across the selection boundary.

1 Like