Water snake eating sunfish

I was at the dam of my neighborhood lake shooting dragonflies when all of a sudden this snake popped up with this fish in its mouth. Shooting perspective was a challenge due to all the rocks on the dam but I managed a few frames.

Canon 7D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x TC II
ISO 400, f9, 1/1250s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That’s quite a mouth full for this water snake. The highlights on the dorsal fin are somewhat distracting and pull my eye up towards that spot. You might be be able to reduce the impact of that area with some careful editing. Other than that–Well done…Jim

Early on in my career I photographed several water snakes eating fish, and from that experience I can assure you that you found the best POV. Nicely framed and exposed, especially considering the complicated surroundings. But in fact they seem to make their living by hiding in such rocks to feed, so I wouldn’t change a thing in keeping with typical habitat. I agree with Jim about the bright highlight, but that’s a small issue that’s easily fixed. Great work!

Allen: your photo elicited a WOW from me. I think it has a great POV and captures the action perfectly. Congrats! Richard

1 Like

Are you kidding me? What a great shot! Great look at the eye and the mouth of the snake.
I agree with removing the fin highlights - a very minor nit. Careful work with Content-aware might be able to remove/blend in that left rock, if you wished.
Excellent catch!
Sandy

A great find and very well photographed, Allen. Nits already noted.