Water Wheel Long Exposure

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Experimenting with the effects created using different exposure times on fast moving water.
Taken with a Nikon D5, Nikkor 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 58 mm
Taken at f 22, ISO 200, 1/4 sec -0.33
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

I like the shape and texture here Cheryl.

This shutter time works for me and I like the contrast between the highlights and shadows.

My only nit is that I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more space at the top of the frame.

Very interesting scene, i love the water movement and how you processed the image. Did you try to shot a little bit slower (1/2)? Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl,

Love this! I’m a sucker for intimate water images like this and I too am always experimenting. The shutter speed here is just about perfect… that is, if you’re looking to retain texture and detail -AND- flow and motion as well. You’ve got the best of both. As I’m sure you’ve discovered, the longer shutter speeds - even mildly longer than yours - can and do result in loss of detail and blown out highlights, so there’s always a compromise. I think you’ve chosen beautifully here.

I like the cool color as well. Hard to tell, and perhaps too blue for some, but there’s enough pure white in the turbulence to let this work beautifully as presented.

Lon

Cheryl, I like the experiment here, no two of these type images are ever alike, and quite often you don’t really know what you have got until you review the images in detail at home. This can be a fun way to spend some time photographing. I like two things about this image. First the colors, the cool blue tones in the shaded areas and then the cleaner whites in the spray to the right. Second I like the contrast in texture between the smooth water on the left, and the more chaotic spray on the right.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheryl, shots like that are a lot of fun to chase. As Lon and Ed say, your choice of shutter speed has a large role in the final result and even that depends on how fast the water is moving. Then, you get into what is your preference, highly smoothed, a some detail or lots of detail, and, of course, that may depend on your mood. In this view, you’ve got a mix that suits my tastes very well, although I’d reduce but not eliminate the blue tones in the shade. Some dodging of the dark triangle at the top so that the texture is easier to see would keep it from grabbing so much attention. You’ve got a strong sense of movement here.

Cheryl,
It is always fun to experiment with different SS when you shooting moving water because you can get so many different results. Depending on what your personal tastes are you can capture some amazing details and textures or go silky smooth. This has a nice sense of motion along with some very nice textures. My only suggestion would be to clone or crop out those darker areas along the top edge. The highlights in the flowing water are a nice touch.

@Nathan_Klein, @Ed_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Lon_Overacker, @masdamb. Thanks for all your thoughtful responses. I did try several exposures ranging from 1 sec (not enough detail) to 1/20 sec (water didn’t give the feeling of movement). This seems to be related to the proximity to the water. I was looking for the “striated muscle” feeling of the flow, and eddy of the plunge. I would love to have more at the photo top (absolutely right), but there were rocks…nice rocks, but one too many elements (???). I did some editing, and you are right about the dark triangle, my perception of mystery, was really more of a distraction. So much to learn, not sure that I will ever be able to see things as you all do, but all we can do it try, and keep the faith. Thanks again.

Cheryl, your not supposed to “see things as we do”. We can offer advice how the how, but it’s really all about figuring out how YOU see things. Makes for a fun “trip”… :grinning:

Thanks Mark. I didn’t express myself well…I want to take my pictures, but with the eye of the more seasoned and accomplished photographers. You mimic the masters, until you develop your own style.