Waterfall and Wood

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My aim here was to capture the juxtaposition of the steadfast, aged tree trunk against the gentle motion of the waterfall, highlighting the enduring yet ever-changing aspects of nature at Girrakool.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is good feedback.

Technical Details

14 mm at ISO 100 and 4sec at ƒ/14

1 Like

I really like this scene a lot! My only quibble is the bright area on the bottom right corner that pulls my eye away from the hero of the scene.

1 Like

Thanks Matt, you are dead right. Does this work or should I get rid of it altogether?

Don, I should also tone it down but not so much, just a little. It has to correspond with the water above as a good part of the image, Again a great image.

This answer is 2 hours later and studying it. " Leave the image as it was the first time.!!"

1 Like

Quite an interesting scene here. It is dark and very moody while at the same time enlightening. Normally, I don’t like objects leaving the side of the scene but this doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it might. It’s very creative for you to frame this up in the way that you did and I really think it works quite well. There is a bit of blue/purple in the water but I also think it fits the scene and I think you could leave it alone. The bottom right corner does pull the eye but it also balances the scene quite well and also anchors it. I could go either way but I think I prefer the original…maybe. It’s a coin flip to me.

1 Like

Great image. It has a painterly like look to the composition. Both the fg and bg are great and complement one another. The subtle lighting that shows off so nicely the fg tree is a big reason for success. It’s common to show a waterfall with a sprinkling of leaves surrounding it. But the twists and turns of the fg tree is a subject on its own.

1 Like

David, thank you for your thoughtful critique. I’m pleased to hear that the composition resonated with you. The interplay of shadow and light is indeed a crucial aspect of this scene, and I’m glad it conveyed the moody atmosphere I intended. Your observation about the blue/purple hues in the water is astute; these tones were left intentionally to complement the overall palette.

Regarding the bottom right corner, it’s interesting to hear how it draws the eye for you, providing a balance and anchor to the scene. It’s always intriguing to see how different elements are perceived and whether alterations enhance or detract from the original vision.

1 Like

Thanks Ben! And thanks for putting in that time to consider your advice for me, I really do appreciate it!

Hi Igor, thanks for your kind words. I’m delighted that the lighting and composition struck a chord with you. The foreground tree is indeed my favorite elements, and I’m glad it stands out as a subject in its own right.

I love the photo specially the contrasts of colors blue and yellow/red, the softness of the falling waters against the fine sharpness of the rocks and the trunk, of dark and light lights. I am wandering if lowering the saturation of the greens these contrasts could be more evident. What do you think about this?

Hi Guiseppe thanks for your feedback and your appreciation of the colour contrasts and textural interplay in the photograph. Your suggestion about the saturation of the greens is an interesting one and something I did play with. I did experiment with reducing their intensity, but found that it somewhat diminished the natural vibrancy that I was aiming to preserve in the image. It’s always a delicate balance to strike, and in this instance, maintaining the authenticity of the scene was paramount.