Waterfall in Motion

My first time posting a image and I reviewed the site about that. This simple water fall in a park I have seen most of my life so wanted to try something different with photography. Since I am new to water in motion photography so any feedback is welcome, lighting, length of exposures

Any artistic feedback is welcome

Used a 6D mark ii, TS-E 24mm Lens ISO 100 at F/22 for 3.2 seconds with a 3 Stop ND filter. So this is a panorama created in Lightroom Classic

Stunning Image!!! I feel like some minor cropping and dodgeing and buring can help draw the eye to the falls! I’ve posted a very quick example of what I mean! Great work my friend!!!

Hi Dean and Welcome to the NPN Community. I really like this shot the detail in the water is excellent and the composition is done well. As @mike9 mentioned, some cropping may help. I took the liberty to address a couple of your questions and played with the photo in LR as well.

1. I cropped down the upper left corner to limit the sky. There was lot of washed out area and this tends to distract from photos (A huge lesson I’ve learned).
  2. Using the light slider: decreased the highlights, increased the shadows, decreased the whites and increased the blacks.
  3. in the Color slider: Green - added a bit of luminance +4, and increased the green to +11. For the yellows: increased to +15, Luminace to +22. You have a decent amount of side light coming from the right side. You could also play with the blue’s a bit and increase saturation and decrease the luminance of the sky. I didn’t play with this, but worth a try.

Exposure time is perfect for the water and it really gives it the “feathery” feel. A polarizer or ND filter could also help bring down your stops a bit alowing for a longer exposure is you really want smoother water.

Thanks for sharing !

Thanks Todd and Mike. This is exactly why I joined the network. Cropping has been a weakness for me to make a photo prefect. I actually spend a lot of time trying to frame a photo how I want it. I moved a few times within a couple of feet to frame this. But still never perfect. I love the dodge and burn idea, wow back in the dark room days since I heard that term. I will take the advice and upload a update. I have been using photoshop since version 2 but lightroom has come a long way so been using that more. I used a 3 stop ND filter and have a 10 stop. Thinking about a 6 stop because I did not want to shoot at f/22, maybe the 10 stop would have worked better here. I had a variable ND filter but returned it and got slim single stop which works out much better with 24mm.

I did a update on this based on your comments

Welcome to NPN.
I like the composition a lot. Not sure it needs any cropping IMO. It’s a little bright for my taste. A bit HDRish. The main thing I see is blown out highlights in the clouds, water and the rock behind the tree branch.

Thanks Bradley I think a cloudy day might have been better for this one. I may go back again when the marine layer is around. I might go back to the raw files and see if that can be addressed,

Dean,

Welcome to NPN! What a fabulous first post to start off with. One of the great things about this image is that you’re already starting with a great image… and any critiques or suggestions are merely small tweaks to elevate this to the next level.

I really like the edits Todd did and your second post is an excellent rework. I do like the crop. For my tasted I would burn down or otherwise bring back some of the blue in the UL, but maintaining taming the cloud highlights. I like the crop from the top because I felt the original the tree/leaves were a bit dominant - However, in your original I think the presence of the undulating branch was nice feature as it somewhat echoed the rocks and cascading water below. I liked that with the original, but has been diminished somewhat with the crop (not that this point is a big deal either way)

Oh, and I think the water treatment/longer exposure is just right for these falls. there’s a couple blown areas, mostly on the right side of the top of the falls - but the areas are small and really inconsequential to the overall impression.

Lastly, I would burn down a little more what’s left of the brighter rock in the LLC.

Otherwise, you’ve got a great image here!

Lon

Welcome to NPN Dean,

Great first image! @Todd_Grivetti and @Lon_Overacker suggestions are what I would do as well. Well seen and captured. Looking forward to more from you.

1 Like

Welcome Dean!

I’ll just echo, those guys said it better than I can. Hope to see more images in the future.

With the advice from this thread I redid this image putting what everyone posted. Thanks. I see much value in the NPN