Costa Rica waterfall

I took this photo in the forests of Costa Rica this morning, and did a quick edit shortly there after. What are your thoughts?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hey @harrison1

First off welcome to the NPN! :slight_smile:

You’ve got an awesome composition here & really nice shutter speed for the waterfall

Personally, I’d try and darken the foreground & maybe crop up to remove the leaf that’s moving there. The only other couple of things would be to darken the left and right of the scene to help draw the eye in and focus on the waterfall

I just did a super quick edit

Harrison,

Yes indeed, welcome to NPN! Great having you here and a fabulous first post. Excellent view and capture of these falls. I like that you’ve provided enough space for the falls and included the lovely, lush vegetation.

I like where Dale is going with the edits. Personally, I would go about 1/2 way on the darkening around the falls, but his point is a good one in keeping the eye in the frame and to the falls. I’m torn whether or not about cropping. It’s a bummer the bottom leaf is moving and I think that’s enough to warrant a crop. Fortunately you have the room to do so and still give the falls space. however, I like the branches of the plant too… so I’m torn on the crop.

My biggest suggestion though would be to adjust the white balance of the falls. Comes across as fairly blue. Sure, it looks to be lacking any direct light and would naturally be cool, but the fringes of the water - especially in the pool and along the falls is a bit blue. You could either adjust the global WB to just slightly warmer - or another thing I often do is simply drop the sat level in the blues. That should effect the foliage at all. Just a thought and more of a personal preference.

Thanks for sharing! We look forward to your images and participation. Don’t be shy!

Lon

1 Like

Welcome aboard and a fine first post. I like the suggestions of Dale and Lon. The white balance/blue in the water was the first thing I noticed and I like Dale’s direction, too. Welcome aboard. I look forward to more images and your input around here.

Wow…what a gorgeous scene. Agree with comments made thus far. Cropping the image as @Dale_Jantzen did made a great improvement on removing the distraction of the moving leaf. Agree with the white balance and this is often a trap in editing my forest scenes with water. I end up needing to do a separate layer for the water and color-correcting it with various means as noted above…either with desaturation or color balance tools. Anyway, great capture and first display!